The following message is sent on behalf for Chris Melcher, vice president of Legal Affairs/General Counsel
As our community begins the new semester, we are pleased to provide an update on the work that has been done over the past several months to update and improve the Augusta University Policy System. In July 2018, President Keel asked the Office of Legal Affairs to assume responsibility for the management and implementation of university policies and the Policy Library. With help from the members of the Policy Advisory Group (PAG), the Audit and Compliance Office and the Division of Communications and Marketing, the Office of Legal Affairs (OLA) has undertaken the following efforts to enhance and improve the AU Policy System:
- The Policy Library and all current AU policies have been successfully migrated intact onto a new, more stable platform on the AU website.
- OLA has decommissioned the Policy Tech software tool and will manage the Policy Library internally with less cost and greater functionality.
- Last semester, OLA and PAG completed, and the provost and president approved, 10 new policies, including a new “Policy on Policies” that will allow for more efficient review and approval of policies and greater communication of newly adopted policies.
- OLA will convene the PAG every two weeks throughout the academic year to expeditiously review and facilitate new policies for the university.
- The PAG includes members from across the university to ensure representation and input from a variety of perspectives, including Academic Affairs, Finance, Human Resources, Student Affairs, the Faculty Senate, and Facilities, among others.
- Policies that require faculty input and review will continue to be referred to the University Senate for proper vetting and input before approval by the provost and the president.
- There will be regular communication of newly adopted policies across the university community to improve awareness and compliance.
- OLA is currently reviewing every policy in the AU Policy Library to ensure accuracy and consistency, to make improvements and recommendations where necessary, and to confirm that all policies are consistent with Board of Regents Policies and Policy Updates.
The AU Policy Library contains all prior policies intact as previously implemented and the 10 new policies reviewed and approved in the fall (listed below), including the new “Policy on Policies” that will be used going forward to maintain and expand the AU Policy Library. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Legal Affairs. Thank you!
Vice President of Legal Affairs/General Counsel
Augusta University Policy Quick Links
- Relocation and Moving Expenses
- Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Use of Library Electronic Resources
- GIL Express Policy
- Tobacco Free Policy
- Acceptable Use of Electronic Mail & Electronic Messaging Policy
- Student Fitness for Participation
- Concussion Management Protocol
- Sportsmanship and Code of Conduct for Intercollegiate Athletic Events
- Policies on Policies