Minor fire at medical center, no injuries

AU Health building

The following communication was distributed by Shawn Vincent, Chief Operating Officer of AU Medical Center

Dear Colleagues,

Today, a general electrical equipment riser failure caused a small electrical fire in the basement of the medical center. The fire was confined to the Sydenstricker wing and quickly extinguished.

No one was injured and all patient care areas and equipment are operational. Smoke did, however, enter the stairwells and elevator shafts, temporarily impacting electrical services such as lights and air conditioning.

The Richmond County Fire Department and Georgia Power are on site, working to clear the smoke and restore power.

If you work in a patient care area and have concerns, please contact facilities at (706) 721-4660.

Sincerely,

Shawn P. Vincent, Sr.
Chief Operating Officer
AU Medical Center

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
Eric Johnson
Written by
Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson is publications editor at Augusta University. You can reach him at erijohnson@augusta.edu.

View all articles
Eric Johnson Written by Eric Johnson

Jagwire is your source for news and stories from Augusta University and AU Health. Daily updates highlight the many ways students, faculty, staff, researchers and clinicians "bring their A games" in classrooms and clinics on four campuses in Augusta and locations across the state of Georgia.

Read on for stories of innovation in education and health care, opportunities at the center of Georgiaโ€™s new cybersecurity hub, and experiential learning that blends arts and application, humanitiesย and the health sciences.