The Dental College of Georgia has been awarded an extension of a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Health Resources and Services Administration (HSRA) Workforce Grant. The competitive continuation will bring in $1.59 million over four years. This is in addition to the $5.1 million received to date in HRSA Workforce grants. The HRSA grant supports DCG in multiple programming efforts, including sending senior dental students across the state to underserved areas to provide oral health care in 26 dental centers in 15 cities.
New goals for this grant include:
- Increase in the number of externship sites and continued support for student travel to the sites
- Peri- and pre-natal educational programs for expectant mothers
- Creation of educational podcasts for healthcare providers
- Creation of videos and programs to expose middle and high school students to careers in dentistry
- Interprofessional educational opportunities with healthcare providers at clerkship sites with medical centers