5:28 p.m. – Today, the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office released a description of the suspect in the off-campus assault that occurred Thursday, March 15.
According to the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office:
The suspect is described as a black man around 5-feet-10-inches tall and between 180 and 200 lbs. He was last seen wearing a black hoodie and dark-colored pants.
If you have any information about this case, please contact the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office Violent Crimes Division at 706-821-1020.
We ask that you remain alert and aware of your surroundings. The Augusta University Police Department and the Richmond County Sheriff’s Department have increased patrols in the area. If you see something unusual or suspicious, call Augusta University Police at 706-721-2911.
For safety tips and resources, please visit our website.
4:13 p.m. — The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office is actively investigating the assault of a member of the Augusta University community that occurred off-campus Wednesday evening at the Colonial Court Apartments on Walton Way.
In an email Tuesday morning, the university asked students and faculty to report any unusual or suspicious behavior to campus police.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victim and her family,” said President Brooks A. Keel, PhD. “At this time, we are focused on doing whatever we can to support her and other members of our community who have been affected by this act of violence .”
The Augusta University Police Department is working closely with the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office. Students, faculty and staff can expect to see an increased police presence and are encouraged to take advantage of safety resources, such as police escorts, campus alerts and a mobile safety app. A full list of resources is available online.
Over the past several weeks, the Augusta University Police Department has introduced the JagSafe campaign, and today’s events are a reminder to the university community to always be JagSafe:
• Update your emergency contacts. Store the Augusta University Police Department telephone number (706-721-2911) in your cell phone.
• Download the app. The free Rave Guardian app enhances emergency response by communicating your location to police and 911 officials with the touch of a button.
• Never walk alone. Ask a friend or co-worker to walk with you, take the shuttle or call for a police escort when walking after dark.
• Walk in well-lit, populated areas. Avoid dimly lit areas or those with high bushes or shrubbery that decrease visibility.
• Stay alert. You are more likely to become the victim of a crime when you are distracted and unaware of your surroundings. Avoid looking down at cellphones and other electronic devices when walking around campus.
• Observe building regulations. Do not allow anyone into a campus residence hall or secured building without appropriate identification.
• Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable or observe suspicious activity, call the police department immediately.
If you observe anyone behaving suspiciously, call the Augusta University Police Department at 706-721-2911 or 911.
11:05 a.m. – Richmond County Police have confirmed that a female was the victim of an assault after responding to an incident this morning at the Colonial Court Apartments on Walton Way. The suspect has not yet been apprehended.
If you witness unusual or suspicious behavior, we encourage you to call Augusta University Police at 706-721-2911.