As we head into the holiday weekend, remember to stay safe.
For those leaving town for the weekend, the CDC offers specific guidelines and FAQs on travel during the COVID-19 pandemic, as does the Georgia Department of Public Health. Here are some tips to keep you safe and healthy this weekend.
Tips when going out of town
- Research any temporary COVID-19 guidelines and mandates for your travel destination.
- Wear a mask in public settings.
- Opt for less risky destinations and activities (i.e., avoid crowds).
- Stay at least 6 feet apart from anyone who is not from your household.
- Use disinfecting wipes at the gas station.
- Use hand sanitizer before and after getting groceries or takeout.
- Bring your own food or use drive-thru, delivery, take-out and curbside pick-up options.
If you’re planning for a “stay-cation” right here in Augusta, there is also plenty to do.
Tips for a “staycation”
- Explore downtown Augusta and bring your mask.
- Spend time outdoors on the Riverwalk, at Hammond’s Ferry or at the Lock and Dam Park. AU students can rent kayaks for free, too.
- Support artists on the Westobou and Arts in the Heart websites.
- Check out our theaters and museums. The Morris Museum, the Augusta History Museum, and the Lucy Craft Laney Museum of Black History are still open.
- Support local businesses like the Book Tavern or Source Code Escape Games.
For more details on what to do in Augusta, listen to In the Wild, the university’s official podcast.