Members of the Augusta University men’s and women’s golf teams helped unveil a commissioned sculpture at Forest Hills Golf Club, the Jaguars’ home course, on March 6 to commemorate 45 years of golf history between the club and Augusta University.
The nearly 30-foot-long, 8-foot-high white golf tee was created by Ed Durant and painted by artist Cole Phail of Appling. The tee is covered in the Augusta University Victory A and the 1926 founding date for Forest Hills and features a pair of clubs and the back-to-back championships on the head of the piece.
The artwork was dedicated to the Honorable Don Grantham, Forest Hills Committee Chairman, for his work to save the course, which was once in extreme disrepair, and to Beth Evans, a 1971 alumna and longtime supporter of Augusta University golf programs, and wife of Nick Evans Jr., who played golf for the Augusta Jaguars in 1968.
Jagwire is your source for news and stories from Augusta University. Daily updates highlight the many ways students, faculty, staff, researchers and clinicians "bring their A games" in classrooms and clinics on four campuses in Augusta and locations across the state of Georgia.