A recent presidential executive order requires federal contractors, including those within the University System of Georgia, to comply with COVID-19 guidance from the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force. The guidance requires affected employees to provide written confirmation that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by Jan. 4, 2022 and to comply with CDC guidelines on masking and social distancing. Universities across the nation have recently announced their plans to comply with the federal guidelines.
Augusta University has over 200 federal contracts and is subject to the provisions of this order. Employees impacted by the order include:
- All full-time or part-time employees (including student workers) working on or in connection with a covered federal contract
- Employees who perform support functions such as human resources, billing, legal review and other roles
- Employees who are in the same workplace as employees working on or supporting federal contracts but who do not themselves work directly on or in connection with the federal contract
Augusta University will notify all employees who fall into these categories for which a vaccine is required once our review is complete. The guidelines do provide for limited exceptions on the basis of religion, disability and medical condition.
Augusta University’s COVID-19 Transition Committee is working through the details of implementing the guidelines. In the coming days we will provide information on:
- How to know whether you are an impacted employee
- How to provide appropriate documentation
- How to apply for an exemption and more
We are already working with our partners at Augusta University Health to ensure we have sufficient access to vaccines. We will utilize our COVID-19 website as well as Jagwire to provide these details. Please continue to check those sites for updates. Unvaccinated employees remain encouraged to get vaccinated as soon as possible. Vaccination clinics are readily available for employees. Register today.
In addition to vaccination guidelines, the executive order requires compliance with masking and physical distancing based on CDC guidance. We continue to encourage our campus community, regardless of vaccination status, to wear masks while indoors, maintain a safe social distance and practice good hand hygiene.
Note that this information relates to employees of Augusta University. Our AU Health leadership team is creating a plan to meet the federal guidelines that is specific to the health system. They will continue to communicate as they work through their specific policies, procedures and logistics.
More information will be shared as soon as it becomes available.