The offices of Civic Engagement and New Student and Family Transitions have partnered to host a school supply drive through Aug. 5. Donations will be distributed to local Title I elementary schools in Richmond County, ensuring all supplies benefit students from low-income families.
Helpful donations include:
- Boxes of crayons, #2 pencils and colored pencils
- Boxes of markers, highlighters and dry erase markers
- Tissues, hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes
- Composition or spiral notebooks
- Post-it Notes and index cards
- Glue sticks and school glue
- Packs of paper (graph, copy, construction or loose-leaf paper preferred)
- Pencil pouches
- Binders and binder dividers
- Transparent tape
- Protractors and rulers
Donations can be delivered to Suite 221 of the Jaguar Student Activities Center (JSAC) on the Summerville Campus. Donations will also be accepted at orientation check-in.
“It’s important to prepare local students for the incoming academic year. It gives them a head start to be successful,” said Roberto Aragon, coordinator of student involvement for Student Life and Engagement.
“We are incredibly proud and excited to include service in our plans for Leap Week,” said Sammy Cole-Reardon, coordinator for New Student and Family Transitions. “Civic engagement is a part of student life and leadership at AU, so it’s great to show that to incoming Jags right away.”