The Center for Writing Excellence reopened for the fall 2022 semester on Monday, Aug. 22. The CWE encourages all Augusta University community members to explore its redesigned website to schedule writing, speaking and multimodal project consultations, find online resources and register for events, webinars, writing/speaking groups and writing retreats.
Expansion of consultation services
Staff is available to consult on writing, speaking and multimodal projects for any discipline at any stage in the writing process. The CWE has increased its staffing and now offers peer consultations with undergraduate, graduate and professional consultants.
The campus community can schedule appointments with staff via WCOnline. Faculty, staff and graduate, professional and postdoctoral students can reserve appointment times on schedules labeled “Grad/Faculty.” Undergraduates can book appointments on schedules labeled “Undergrad.”
The CWE will continue to offer three kinds of consultations to all writers this academic year: in person, live online chat and written feedback online.
Join a writing or speaking group
Community members can sign up for a writing or speaking group online. Several options are available:
- ELL Speaking Group: The CWE will offer a speaking group for English language learners (ELLs) to practice their English skills. The group will meet weekly from 4-5 p.m. Monday via Zoom. Attendees can come for a few sessions or attend the whole series.
- Dedicated Writing Time (DWT) Groups: The CWE will offer four virtual DWT groups this semester. Groups meet weekly for one hour to just write. Times offered this fall include 5-6 p.m. Tuesday, 4-5 p.m. Wednesday, 4-5 p.m. Thursday and 9-10 a.m. Friday. All groups meet via Zoom and are capped at six participants.
The CWE will offer several events for fall 2022, including:
- Info Night: Learn how the CWE can support you at info night from 4-4:30 p.m. Aug. 22 via Zoom. Get the link.
- Open House: Grab free swag and snacks while meeting the CWE staff from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 29 at the Summerville location (Allgood Hall, Room N204).
- AHA Grant Review Session: Are you applying for an American Heart Association Predoctoral Fellowship grant? Attend the grant review session from 6-8 p.m. Aug. 29, on the Health Sciences Campus in Pavillion III, Room 2340.
Writing retreats and webinars
Sign up online for writing retreats and webinars.
The CWE will offer five, all-day virtual writing retreats for graduate students this semester and two for faculty. All retreats take place on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Grad retreats will take place Aug. 27, Sept. 17, Oct. 22, Nov. 12 and Dec. 3. Faculty retreats will take place Sept. 24 and Nov. 5. Retreats are capped at 10 participants and will take place via Zoom.
Faculty are encouraged to join a virtual webinar on mentoring graduate writers from 6-7 p.m. on Oct. 3 via Zoom. Graduate students are welcome at a webinar on soliciting and responding to faculty feedback from 6-7 p.m. on Oct. 17 via Zoom.
In-class workshops and informational class visits
The CWE aims to promote writing across the curriculum and in the disciplines by providing faculty with support for teaching writing and speaking in their courses. The center can work with faculty to develop workshops on a variety of topics and can also come to classes to inform students about our services. Request a workshop or class visit any time on the teaching resources webpage.
Contact the CWE with questions at 706-737-1402 or via email.