Observed in April, Sexual Assault Awareness Month is an annual campaign to raise awareness of sexual assault and educate communities on how to prevent sexual violence. A significant supporter of sexual assault awareness and education on campus is the Title IX Office, which consists of a coordinator, an investigator and liaisons from across the university.
Title IX is a U.S. federal civil rights law for gender equity that has existed since 1972. It functions to protect individuals from gender discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual exploitation, sexual assault, stalking, dating violence and domestic violence.
This year’s SAAM events include:
- The Clothesline Project, April 11-29: This initiative displays T-shirts that feature messages and illustrations designed by survivors of sexual assault or allies of sexual violence prevention. Locations: Forest Hills Campus; Health Sciences Campus (at Jaguar Park); Summerville Campus (at History Walk and Allgood Hall)
- Takeover Tuesday, noon-1:30 p.m., April 12: Student Life and Engagement and the Jaguar Production Crew will dedicate this Takeover Tuesday to sexual violence prevention and awareness. Participants include Augusta Rape Crisis, SafeHomes of Augusta, Student Wellness Programs, Augusta University Police and more. Location: Summerville Campus, Jaguar Student Activities Center Patio
- Wellness Wednesday, noon-1:30 p.m., April 13: Student Wellness Programs, Multicultural Student Engagement and the Title IX Office will present a healthy relationships workshop, with emphasis on sexual assault awareness and prevention. The first 20 students who attend in person will receive lunch and a T-shirt. Location: JSAC Hardy Room, with a livestream option
- Motivational Monday, 10 a.m.-noon, April 18: This event, led by the Title IX Office and Augusta University Police, will feature information, activities and giveaways. Location: Forest Hills Campus
- Assorted Music Performances, April 19-26: The Department of Music has dedicated all of their April performances (including the jazz ensemble, the orchestra concert, the choral ensemble and the wind ensemble) to SAAM awareness. Community and departmental resources will be available for guests before each event. Location: Maxwell Theatre
- Run a Mile in Their Shoes, 9 a.m., April 23: Alpha Chi Omega will host a 1-mile walk/run fundraiser to stop rape, sexual assault and gender violence. Organizers request a $12 donation to register for the run. Community members can also support the fundraiser by purchasing a T-shirt. All proceeds will benefit SafeHomes of Augusta. Location: Summerville Campus, near the Grove
- Takeover Tuesday, noon-1:30 p.m., April 26: Student Life and Engagement and The CREW will dedicate this Takeover Tuesday to sexual violence prevention and awareness. Participants include Augusta Rape Crisis, SafeHomes of Augusta, Student Wellness Programs, Augusta University Police and more. Location: Health Sciences Campus, patio of the J. Harold Harrison, M.D. Education Commons
Email Julie Kneuker, Title IX coordinator at Augusta University, with questions about SAAM programming.