Augusta University is excited to kick off the New Year with the inaugural ‘Jaguars United Basketball Game.’ The event will take place Jan. 17 in Christenberry Fieldhouse with tip off at 5:30 p.m. for the women’s game and 7:30 p.m. for the men’s game.
The ‘Jaguars United Basketball Game’ is an initiative to see which school or college has the most school spirit. There are six events for each school/college to compete in and earn points before the game. Listed below are the different events leading up to the game. Good luck, Jags!
- Each college/school will decorate a selected portion of its college/school
- Judging will be based on the use of the Augusta University Logo and originality
- The judging of the contest will begin on Jan. 16 at 12:00 p.m.
- Each college/school will identify a sidekick for Augustus during the game on Jan. 17
- A script of 140 characters or less will be provided to athletics to introduce their sidekick
- Prior to tipoff, the nine sidekicks will be introduced by Jason Scherer, the public address announcer
- The judging criteria will be based on the enthusiasm of the sidekick during the game and creativity of the costume
- Each college/school will decorate a twin bed sheet banner provided by athletics
- The banner should focus on your individual college and Dr. Keel’s favorite saying of “Go Jags!”
- The banners will be judged on creativity and use of the school colors (navy and silver)
- The banners must be delivered to Christenberry Fieldhouse by 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday Jan. 16 and will be hung horizontally in the arena
- Winners will be announced during the game on Wednesday, Jan. 17
- Each college must designate a professor/instructor/faculty member to participate in the limbo contest at 12:00 p.m. at the amphitheater near the JSAC of Summerville Campus on Wednesday, Jan. 17
- Each college/school must select a spirit ambassador to compete in a traditional game of “basketball musical chairs” at halftime of the men’s game on Jan. 17
- Help promote “Jaguars United Night” and earn points by having the most attendees from your school/college at the game
- Students, faculty and staff attendance will be calculated by swiping their Jag Card when they arrive at Christenberry Fieldhouse
- The official count will be tallied before tipoff at 7:30 p.m.
For more information email Taylor Lamb, athletic media relations director, or call him at (706) 731-7925. The event is free and open to the public.
Good luck and go Jags!